On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:57:10 +0100, Alexander Stohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>how about a totally pure and simple XFree86?
>this will launch an X-Server without any window manager.
>shut it down with CTRL-ALT-Backspace if the mouse moves.
>
>other attempt, try fvwm2, twm or GNOME window manager.
>it should be configureable by your system software or
>via hidden files at your user's home directory.

Thanks! You really made my day! :)The last days I was hunting for some info
and I couldn't find anything. I dind't know what to try else, so this gave me
at least a little boost, even though I still have no 3D yet.

I tried running fvwm2 and it worked. I verified with lsmod and I could see at
the usagecount that X was indeed using the fglrx driver. Normally it is 0 and
now it was 6 and 4 (agpgart).

I tried running glxgears but it gave me an "Breakpoint/Trap something"
errormessage. The same for fgl_glxgears, glxinfo, etc.) was always the same.
OpenGL should work in fvwm2 the same as in KDE, right?

The question now is, what should I do next?

I'am running KDE 3.1 so I should be quite fine. Do you mean I should reinstall
KDE? Or is there something else?

This really helped a lot, because now I'm at least a (even though a tiny) step
further. :)

--
Gerhard Gruber
Maintainer of