3D accel on r300 cards (9500 and up) is only supported by ati's binary
drivers.

The ABI error comes from the fact that you are using a newer driver
with a old version of the XFree86 server.  you need to upgrade you
XFree86 binary.  there is one available here:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/extras/