On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 01:41:45PM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:
>I've been thinking about how to make X more "userfriendly".
>
>Driver "nvidia,vesa"
>
>Is a line like this possible, or could it be a good suggestion to
>implement? It would allow fallback from one driver to another in case
>the first doesn't function. One of the main complaints I've been hearing
>from various people I'm working with is how X doens't "Just Work". In
>that you can plug it in, and see a screen. Certainly most of this is up
>to the fault of the packager, but some of it is because they'res some
>things the packager would need to work around that are difficult, such
>as detecting that X failed to launch, so switching it to vesa mode and
>trying again.

The automatic configuration support (that is, the ability to use
the XFree86 server without an XF86Config file) that I added for
4.4 has a fallback mechanism something like this.  It tries the
auto-detected chipset-specific driver first (if there is one), then
falls back to the vesa, fbdev, or vga drivers.  I have since made
some improvements to the fallback mechanism, but they were done
too late to get into 4.4.

The main goal of this automatic configuration is that a user can get
a usable screen up and running without any manual intervention.

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project