Ahh! I hadn't checked any of the work in 4.4 before I came up with this
idea. This is wonderful.

What about in the case of a broken driver where the X server is unable
to start? One of the main problems I've seen Is when somebody breaks
their X config, either by running some driver installation
(nvidia-installer yay!) or recompiling their kernel and leaving off a
third party module results in a non working X. Users would definitely
would rather be at a 640x480 display running in 16 colors than a login
console prompt. Or at least this is my assumption: power users are more
than welcome to do whatever they want.