On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:32:33PM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:
>Ahh! I hadn't checked any of the work in 4.4 before I came up with this
>idea. This is wonderful.
>
>What about in the case of a broken driver where the X server is unable
>to start? One of the main problems I've seen Is when somebody breaks
>their X config, either by running some driver installation
>(nvidia-installer yay!) or recompiling their kernel and leaving off a
>third party module results in a non working X. Users would definitely
>would rather be at a 640x480 display running in 16 colors than a login
>console prompt. Or at least this is my assumption: power users are more
>than welcome to do whatever they want.

A configuration file, even if broken, completely overrides the automatic
mechanism.  However, if the user finds that their configuration file is
broken, they can revert to the automatic method by either removing/renaming
the broken file, or specifying a non-existent file with the
'-xf86config no-such-file' command line option.  (I'm going to add a
'-auto' option to provide a cleaner way of saying that you want to ignore
an existing config file and use automatic configuration instead.)

The improved fallback mechanism I mentioned could be extended so that it
is available in your example, not just the auto-config case.  That's a
good idea.

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project