Christian Zietz writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > as I already pointed out some of the users affected by the problem don't
 > want to or aren't able to build XFree86 out of the CVS sources.
 > So I wrote a small hack which wraps around int 0x10 and prevents the
 > function in question (ax=0x5f64, bx=0x0300) from being called. I'm aware
 > that that's a much dirtier solution to the problem than the patched
 > driver but nonetheless I think it might be useful for people who want to
 > use the precompiled XFree86 that came with their distribution.
 >
 > Download URL for 855wrap: http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855wrap.tar.gz

I think it would be worthwhile to investigate the origin or the problem
and report it to Intel to fix it in the BIOS - in case they have broken
something. It looks like an endless loop to me.
Since the problem appears both to happen inside the emulator and
vm86 mode it points to the BIOS however we cannot say for sure.
One may want to try to set up registers and execute this command
from 'debug' inside DOS to see if this ends up in an endless loop
also.

Egbert.