Hi,

Alan Hourihane schrieb:

> Is there a string 'DELL' or similar in the BIOS that we can use the
> function xf86ReadBIOS() to detect this buggy BIOS and skip using this
> function call in this case ?

No, there is no reference to Dell in the BIOS. I'm not even sure if they
configure the BIOS. I just know that there is the possibility to do so
and that the faulty table is in an area where some values can be
configured by the OEM. So it doesn't need to be a bug introduced by
Dell, it's just one possible explanation.

But I suppose that all computers made by Dell affected by this bug use
BIOS build 3066. So you could scan for "3066Intel(r)", although I don't
think this would be a good idea. Dell could release a BIOS update or
other computers from other companies with a different build number could
be affected, too.
So, why not continue to use a configuration option? I don't see any
problems caused by not calling this particular function.

CU Christian

PS: Some video BIOS developer must be a fan of Star Wars. A string I
found in all BIOS versions I had a look at was "Use the force Luke". ;-)
--
Christian Zietz  -  CHZ-Soft  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://chzsoft.com.ar/ - Fido: Christian [EMAIL PROTECTED]:2437/74.9