Christian,

thank you for the investigation. It proves that we are not to blame.
It remains to see what should be done about it. Disabling the offending
function by default for all future doesn't seem to be a good idea as
the information retreived thru this function may be helpful when people
send in their logs with their bug reports.
I'd therefore suggest to enable it and provide information on the
web and in the man page how the hang can be avoided if somebody
encounters it.

Egbert.