Jim Gettys wrote:
Lots of useful information can be found in:

http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/usenix2003/

If we do everything that should be done, we can eliminate
about 90% of the round trips, ultimately.

Hi Jim, did you have the chance of looking at NX since the last time we discussed this in the X server ML at fd.o? That document, that I have seen cited again and again, says that SSH is enough to ensure that X over low bandwidth links will work acceptably. Once removed the roundtrips, of course. The fact you can run X applica- tions without the round trips today (as I explained in my previous post) and the result is still -slow X applications- should be a proof that X over the Internet needs something more.

In that docement you say that X doesn't need a specia-
lized proxy system and a dedicated infrastructure. I
not only strongly disagree on that, but I have also
showed with tangible facts (like an OSS software that
everybody can use) that a specialized proxy system and
a dedicated infrastructure can do much better than ZLIB
compression. For example it can disconnect the session
from the display and reconnect it at later time, as
we'll do soon in NX.

In that document you seem to imply that because LBX was
not as good as it was supposed to be, such a proxy layer
can't be written. I think that you should reconsider
that stance. The first step could be looking at the facts.
You told that you didn't ever have a chance to try NX.
Do that, please. I think it could really help people
in the X world to look at X-Window from a different
perspective. You are a X icon and many people seem to
trust you more than they trust data ;-).

/Gian Filippo.