On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:57:35AM +0000, ext shane.kea...@accenture.com wrote:
> My view is the workflow should look like this:

i agree, except with the first point:

> 1. author submits change to the version they normally work on (4.8 or 5.0)

no, the author starts his submission against qt5 (irrespective what he
actually started with). we do not want to get (even further) into the
situation where commits are missing from qt5, so a clear "qt5 first"
policy is needed. only exception are changes which are clearly not
applicable to qt5 (primarily because a platform was dropped).

> My experience is that cherry-picking QtCore and QtNetwork changes is
> usually OK, except for autotests which conflict due to path changes

as i announced before, there is the git-qt-cherry-pick script in the
qtrepotools repository to assist with that. it's not much, but it helps.
if it doesn't rewrite some paths you want rewritten, fix it.