On 18 Jan 2001, at 10:23, Peter Samuel wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Dean Staff wrote:
>
> > On 17 Jan 2001, at 15:06, Gordon Rowell wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 02:22:06PM -0500, Dean Staff
<snip>
> > > I don't understand why you needed to do this.
> >
> > Because I like to do things the hard way...you should know me well
> > enough by now ;-)
> >

> > > Set the domains up in the web manager and they will be delivered
> > > locally. They will also be added to smtpd_check_rules
> > > automatically.
> > >
> > > If you want some of those domains to be delivered elsewhere (as
> > > opposed to all domains with DelegateMailServer), you want to add a
> > > custom fragment to /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
> >
> > I did not know that smtproutes overrides the attempt to deliver
> > locally of a virtual domain.
>
> It doesn't. Gordon was incorrect. If the domain appears in
> virtualdomains AND it has an associated user, it is treated as local
> and is delivered to the user and .qmail file specified in the entry:

<snip>

> So, you could add the domain via the panel and create a custom
> virtualdomains fragment to ensure the domain is not treated as a
> localdomain. Or you could avoid using the panel and create a custom
> smtpd_check_rules fragment.

Which is what I did.

> I'll think about providin the capability for making a mail domain NON
> local for a future release of e-smith.

Cool!

> > BTW, will doing what you suggest make the smtp daemon respond
> > faster.
> >

> > I brought the box on-line and noticed that it was taking up to a
> > minute to process 1 message from other machines on my network. (They
> > are sending to and from domains that are not listed as Virtual
> > domains) So I guess my question is, does a large smtpd_check_rules
> > file slow the daemon down drastically?
>
> Define very large. I would expect it to handle a hundred entry file
> with no noticeable problems. How many entries do you have in your
> file?
>
> I just tested a file with 238340 entries and saw no real lag
> (certainly less than a second) in handling invalid addresses. That's
> on a 500MHz Celeron with 64Mb RAM.

It's only 79 lines, with 64 entries.

If I move the appropriate rule set to the top of the list, will it
validate faster?

I think I'll do some more investigating. There must be another reason
why the reponse time is so slow.

Dean

> --
> Regards
> Peter
> ----------
> Peter Samuel                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.e-smith.org (development)    http://www.e-smith.com
> (corporate) Phone: +1 613 368 4398                  Fax: +1 613 564
> 7739 e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada
>
> "If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones
> left"

Dean Staff
Protus IP Solutions
210 - 2435 Holly Lane