Ah,

So in PPPoe, if the gateway/router (e-smith here) is in a million pieces
because someone like myself is annoyed with Telstra.

Any other machine connected to the LAN would not get net access?

I assume here that with PPPoe, the Ethernet from the modem goes straight to
the gateway machine and not to a switch which, happens to have the gateway
machine on it?

If this is the case, then to throw a new problem in, what if I want 3
servers on the net, in parallel, e-smith, mail, www1, www2.  I assume they
would have to be masqueraded servers anyhow?  As Dynamic DNS only hands out
one IP address??

                     *******             ETH0              ***********
---------------------*MODEM*-------------------------------* E-Smith *
      ADSL                 *******    One way loop back Ethernet ***********

 |Ethernet ETH1

***********
                                                                                *
     *
                                                                                *
Switch  *
                                                                                *
     *

***********

 |Off to workstations and masq'e

 |PC's

I just got off the line with a client.... and he is less than impressed with
the whole dynamic IP and Telstra issue.

He saw this product called e-smith, thought he could just whack it in and be
off.

And certainly it is the case for us with ISDN.

I guess given that the above is right.   If I find out 100% from my Telstra
contact that all there ADSL services are offered with PPPoE and you must
have a machine to handle the connection details - Win98, Linux, E-smith - as
long as the DynDNS details have been fixed.  It will still be a simple
matter of plug in, power up and off and away.

It really irks me when I can't give a clear answer and water the already
planted seed of how wonderful and easy E-smith is.  Which it is, don't get
me wrong - but the whole dynamic IP thing and various flavours of ADSL are
really putting a strain on the perception these people have of ease of use.
In getting their office online and emailed and all that....

I am off to hassle some Telstra techo's.  Any words of advice and wisdom
from any others in a similar boat??

Cheers,
Richard.