On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:56:04PM +1100, Richard Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> It really irks me when I can't give a clear answer and water the already
> planted seed of how wonderful and easy E-smith is.

As has been said elsewhere - this is _NOT_ an e-smith issue. We work wonders,
but magic is a little beyond us at this stage.

As I have also said, if the modem is actually handling the dynamic addressing,
it would possible to do dynamic DNS, but it will require something between
wonder and magic.

> Which it is, don't get
> me wrong - but the whole dynamic IP thing and various flavours of ADSL are
> really putting a strain on the perception these people have of ease of use.
> In getting their office online and emailed and all that....

Always check the terms and conditions of the Internet service _before_ you
sign up (or promise its use to customers). Many systems are provided for
"residential service only" and thus do not allow connection sharing.

FYI - most of the providers here have dropped these rules and now also
offer fixed IP addresses for extra money.

Check with other providers - some Telstra ADSL resellers do offer fixed
IP addresses. Telstra is not the only supplier of the retail service,
although they may be the only supplier of the exchange equipment.

> I am off to hassle some Telstra techo's.  Any words of advice and wisdom
> from any others in a similar boat??

Check the terms and conditions of service. If they are not acceptable,
complain to get them changed or check with another provider.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)