On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 02:45:56PM +1100, Richard Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So how does one achieve dyndns where the service is only provided to a
> router and any machines connect via Ethernet, I am referring to Telstra here
> which is the ONLY main provider of ADSL services in Australia.

Some of us are not entirely unfamiliar with the Australian telco scene :-)

As I said in my last reply - you need some way to get the external IP
address from the modem/router. That may be easy or hard, but depends on
your hardware.

dyndns.org for example, displays your current IP address when you connect,
making it easy to update entries manually if required.

> From a security point of view it is very feasible to merge the exterior
> router and a bastion host.  However my problem, I believe may be in the fact
> that Telstra don't offer, deploy or sell and hardware that connects straight
> to a PC.

You may have to do something tricky. Like connecting to an external
host which tells you what your IP address is.

> I assume that one can buy ADSL modems that attach to a PC, via PCI slot or
> serial port?

Well, ADSL in Ottawa is done with an Ethernet connected modem, but the
configuration is all done from the PC end using PPPoE.

> And that this is not dependant on the way a service is
> offered?  IE:  The telco techo arrives with a switch and modem, but you just
> plug the ADSL line into another PC tethered modem?

I think you'll find it's always tied to the telco's implementation.

> If only ISDN was faster and cheaper.......  what we use!

ISDN has been mishandled in so many countries that, IMO, it is likely to face
extinction.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)