On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 10:53:39AM -0500, Charlie Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Dean Staff wrote:
>
> > Mind you, e-smith does have an upgrade installation option...Does
> > anyone know if this only works on a previous e-smith install, or can
> > you "upgrade" a pre-existing Red Hat 6.x/7 install?
>
> Unlikely to work.

And if it did, you would end up with a system containing the stripped e-smith
install plus stragglers from the RedHat install.

My personal preference (not speaking in e-smith context here) is to do fresh
OS installs whenever I do an "upgrade". It is a good opportunity to remove
the unwanted clutter. It also gives you an opportunity to look at all aspects
of the system, and whether you should upgrade more than the raw OS packages,
fileystem layout, etc. Naturally, enforcing good sysadmin policies of doing
all installs through packages and minimising hand-tweaks helps here, and
e-smith helps to enforce those policies by providing a place to put those
tweaks.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)