On 31 Jan 2001, at 10:52, Peter Samuel wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Dean Staff wrote:
>
> > On 31 Jan 2001, at 13:41, Rob Adams wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone point me to a how-to for doing the above, going to
> > > change workplace to e-smith but current mailboxes are on a
> > > seperate sendmail configed RH7.0 box. (with a hole poked by
> > > ipfwadm for port 25)
> >
> > If you're looking for a book, Running qmail by Richard Blum,
> > published by Sams has a whole section on migrating from Sendmail to
> > qmail. But it generally assumes your using the same machine, just
> > switching MTA's.
>
> I've never seen the book, but almost everyone on the qmail list who
> had seen it said that it was too BSD specific. So be careful. An
> excellent qmail resource is Dave Sill's "Life with qmail":
>
>     http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html

When I started playing with e-smith and was considering switching my
mail servers to qmail, I took a look at the book to try to understand
qmail. I found it quite informative. Yes, the book is written based
on qmail running on BSD, but I didn't find that to be a problem.

I actually did a review for Maximum Linux to appear in the next
issue. And gave it a very good grade. But it's high score, is based
on the fact that there are really no other books on qmail as yet. (At
least I was unable to find others)

> > I'm going to be doing the samething once the official release of 4.1
> > is announced, and have come to the realization that while it may be
> > a bit time consuming, the easiest route is to recreate all the
> > accounts from scratch on the new server. That way everything starts
> > clean.
> >
> > Mind you, e-smith does have an upgrade installation option...Does
> > anyone know if this only works on a previous e-smith install, or can
> > you "upgrade" a pre-existing Red Hat 6.x/7 install?
>
> Upgrades work for previous installations of e-smith only.

That's what I figured, which is why I'm starting from scratch...

> PS DISCLAIMER (I reviewed the table of contents for the publisher
> before the book was released. I warned them then that it was too BSD
> specific).

They usually never listen anyway...   :-(

Dean

Dean Staff
Protus IP Solutions
210 - 2435 Holly Lane