On 31 Jan 2001, at 12:54, Gordon Rowell wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 10:53:39AM -0500, Charlie Brady
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Dean Staff
> wrote: > > > Mind you, e-smith does have an upgrade installation
> option...Does > > anyone know if this only works on a previous e-smith
> install, or can > > you "upgrade" a pre-existing Red Hat 6.x/7
> install? > > Unlikely to work.
>
> And if it did, you would end up with a system containing the stripped
> e-smith install plus stragglers from the RedHat install.

I thought of this after I sent the message. Actually, the thing that
hit me was that if it worked I would be left with Sendmail still on
the system anyway. Which could lead to conflicts with qmail.

> My personal preference (not speaking in e-smith context here) is to do
> fresh OS installs whenever I do an "upgrade". It is a good opportunity
> to remove the unwanted clutter. It also gives you an opportunity to
> look at all aspects of the system, and whether you should upgrade more
> than the raw OS packages, fileystem layout, etc. Naturally, enforcing
> good sysadmin policies of doing all installs through packages and
> minimising hand-tweaks helps here, and e-smith helps to enforce those
> policies by providing a place to put those tweaks.

While I was asking about upgrading, I tend to agree with Gordon here.
It is always a good idea to do a fresh install rather than an
upgrade. And e-smith make it easy to save the "tweaks" from one
version to another. I just copy the contents of /etc/e-
smith/templates-custom to a floppy before doing an install of a new
version, and then copy them back after.
I mean you gotta love that!!

The other thing about doing a fresh install is that from a security
point of view, its better. In the event that your system has been
cracked without your notice, doing a clean install locks the intruder
out again.

Dean

Dean Staff
Protus IP Solutions