Here's an overview of the POP3 and which commands it supports
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2000-June/000889.html

Not always can POP3 be set not to delete...(yet today most all can) it depends
on the POP-uidl #, etc. if the server supports it.
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2000-June/000909.html

Don't forgot...you shouldn't use POP it's a POS :-)
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2000-June/000916.html