Dear all,

   I'm testing the IMAP for suitability for our use, and have the following
questions:

> > I've considered IMAP, but that means my user can't read their emails
> > offline, they travel very often. So?
>
>Nup.  Pretty much all emails programs support offline mode.  Outlook
>express
>as I sues with 7 IMAP accounts works great.  It syncs when I ask it to or
>will do it automatically as I work.  Plus if I don't have my laptop ro
>whatever I can use webmail and see ALL my mail, past, sent, etc.  Using
>IMAP
>really adds to the power of webmail.

I have tried it with Outlook Express, when I used POP3 to retreive mails at
the same time, emails get deleted when POP3 downloaded the mails, is this
correct?

When I delete the IMAP mails, it appears crossed on my PC, and it is still
there next time I start Outlook Express, even I have set the delete mail
option. Is this correct behaviour?

When IMAP actually delete the emails at the server?

When I synchronises IMAP folders, first only headers appears, not until I
click on the emails, the actual content is downloaded. So, I can't just do a
sync, and offline, can I?

> > Even with IMAP, I cannot archive the emails to tape and retrieve them
>with
> > specific criteria such as within a period, specific messages, etc. I can
> > only restore the whole directory back which may overwrite my newer
>emails,
> > right? correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm new to IMAP.
>
>With IMAP you can have as many folders as you want.  I have 1999, 1998 2000
>sent, work and private email.  2001 old mail.  I have an IMAP account for
>different mailing lists and the like.
>
>Information ,management does not need expensive software like Trim or Act.
>You can do so by creating functional folder names (IMAP as well) and store
>your stuff in there.  And then at the command prompt move and backup that
>folder.

What can I do if I want to do a full year backup service, that is, user can
retrieve emails a year ago?

Do I have to shutdown qmail when I performed the backup?

Next, is there a convinent way to monitor disk usage on e-smith?

>And no mail will not overwrite as each message is an individual file on the
>system with a unique ID.  I am not sure how the ID is made but it is
>unique.
>And no doubt date of recpt or transmission is used.  I have had my outlook
>express index get stuffed up and have moved files form here and there.
>Import/export and never lost mail.
>
>We did find a command that will list the UID, PID - but I can't find the
>email it is on....

Can you tell me what this command is? So I may further investigate.

Best Regards,
Kai Yuen Kiang.