I like the comments and I think it's a good idea to include them in the
output files.

Just a quick question.  What difference will it make to the server whether
or not comments are included?  With the speed and power of today's
computers, are we talking about a huge loss in speed due to extra code?

Or does it have nothing to do with processing the output files?  If you are
worried about people editing the files directly, then including the comments
helps them find the templates easier (and understand the SME system
better)... instead of "grepping" themselves in circles.

Just my 2cents.

Trev.