>From: "Charlie Brady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Lou Tonry wrote:
>
> > Some D-Link DFE-530TX+'s work, some don't depending on the version of
> > the card.  I have one working in an e-smith server that installed
> > without a problem but I have tried others that didn't work.  They did
> > have different version numbers printed on the card but the same model
> > number.
>
> It's worse than that. They have the same PCI Ids as well.

I think that D-Link uses a Realtek 8139 chip and has the same
versioning problem as the RTL8139.  I have one that happened
to come up working but I think some need a different driver
installed manually.

My favorite card for Linux in general is the original Netgear 10/100 that had
the chip stamped DEC and runs the old Tulip driver.   I stocked up on them
back when they were one of the first cheap 100M cards and still like them.
However, I have never had trouble with Intel 10/100 cards or built-ins or
the 3Comm chips built into Dell Optiplex boxes.

What I'm looking for is an easy way to get a USB->ethernet adapter working
with e-smith.  I have a tiny computer not much larger than it's CD drive with
a built-in NIC and 10Gig hard drive that I'd like to use as a remote office
gateway/server but it will need a second network adapter.   So far I haven't
been able to load e-smith on it anyway.   Stock RedHat 7.1/7.2 will load
but e-smith and Mandrake won't.  It doesn't have a floppy and I haven't
had time yet to work on it, but after I get a USB floppy or time to build
a custom CD I'll need to glue in the pegasus driver unless 5.1 is going to
include it.   I've had the 3Comm adapter working under Mandrake and
performance seems fine for the WAN side of a gateway.

While I'm rambling about USB here, does anyone have experience with
USB modems under Linux?   I like to ship boxes to remote offices with
modems so I can get to them for IP changes, network problems, etc. and
have used up most of my stock of old 'standard' modems.  Do USB
modems work and if so, do they handle faxing in a standard way?  What
about USB->ISDN adapters?   Has anyone set up fail-over dialup PPP
over a modem/ISDN so it will kick in if the primary WAN link fails?
Sorry if this is off-topic for the developer list, but I'm getting much better
performance in offices with e-smith/DSL gateways than with routers
and dedicated frame relay links and the main reason for keeping the
routers is that they are configured with ISDN dial-backup and I need
to match that reliability.

   Les Mikesell
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]