On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 02:17, Les Mikesell wrote:
> What I'm looking for is an easy way to get a USB->ethernet adapter working
> with e-smith.  I have a tiny computer not much larger than it's CD drive
> with a built-in NIC and 10Gig hard drive that I'd like to use as a remote
> office gateway/server but it will need a second network adapter.   So far I
<snip>
USB networking isn't too flash on 2.2 kernels. All the development is being
done on 2.4, and backporting is a some-time thing. In fact, USB on 2.2 is
often a bit marginal, because of the number of PCI changes that have gone in.
Notwithstanding, the pegasus driver and catc drivers are pretty solid on 2.4
(although I think that they are still flagged EXPERIMENTAL), and backporting
might be just a matter of sorting out the timeout stuff.

> While I'm rambling about USB here, does anyone have experience with
> USB modems under Linux?   I like to ship boxes to remote offices with
> modems so I can get to them for IP changes, network problems, etc. and
> have used up most of my stock of old 'standard' modems.  Do USB
> modems work and if so, do they handle faxing in a standard way?  What
> about USB->ISDN adapters?   Has anyone set up fail-over dialup PPP
<snip>
USB modems are extremely variable under Linux, because a lot of manufacturers
have chosen not to use the Communication Device Class spec. Those that do
work are generally pretty good, and support faxing. Those that don't work are
win-modems, and there is not really any reliable way to tell without plugging
it in. Some modems that used to work have been changed to cause breakage, and
the model numbers are identical.
ISDN is basically the same as POTS.
See http://www.linux-usb.org, and check out the USB guide :)

Brad