From: "Jaime Nebrera Herrera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 6:17 AM
Subject: [e-smith-devinfo] Subdomain email relaying (maybe a custom pannel)

>   We are engaged in a big E-Smith installation and have a little doubt. The
> general idea is to have 1 central server and 13 office servers all with ESSG
> installed. We want just to buy one domain (company.com) and let all the mail
> go there. Then, after scanning for viruses and cleaning spamm send it trough
> smtp to the office server that has its own subdomain (1.company.com)
> We dont know if this is possible using the virtual dommains feature (it
> shouldnt as the different subdomains are in different IP and servers) or
> through the "hostnames and addresses panel" (this would be probably the
> choice).

You won't have any trouble with the subdomain nodes.  I run several offices
as subdomains simply because the e-smith DNS would otherwise think it
was authoritative for the entire domain even though it really isn't.   The
email  'From:' and/or 'Reply-to:' are configured into the client so you can
use the user@domain form if you have a central mail hub.   In my case
the hub isn't on e-smith and I have a mix of offices that actually use their
local server for email and ones where the clients connect directly to the
main office.   Where the remote server is used, the hub has aliases to
forward to the right place.

>   The problem with he second option is we want the email to be processed in
> the main server before actual delivery searching for viruses and such. I
> guess the actual situation doesnt support this.

Assuming you use free software for this, I'm not sure I see any advantage
to doing all the work on one machine, but you probably do want to
support user@domain addresses instead of making the subdomains
visible in the addresses.   You will end up relaying email between local
remote users through the mail hub which may or may not be a problem.

>   Also there is the option of relaying all the email to a different server,
> but this is neither a choice, as there are 13 relaying servers involved.
>
>   We want to know if this is possible BEFORE actually start coding such an
> addon that we would release as allways as GPL. If nothing is available, we
> would start coding a custom pannel for this new feature as the client needs
> it, and just want to know if anybody else is interested in this and would
> like to help/contribute/test/give ideas.

If you have a reasonably small number of total users you can accomplish
this by adding all the users to your main relay server and specifying their
real location in the email forwarding address.  This isn't as bad as it
sounds since you don't have to maintain a password here, and you end
up with an LDAP server that you can use as the address book for the
organization.    The ideal thing would be to modify e-smith to use
LDAP for authentication and mail routing (there are standard schemas)
so you wouldn't have to separately maintain the same user on the
remote site.   Also it would be nice in this situation to fix DNS to
understand subdomains a littler better along with the fact that it may
not be the authoritative server for the domain it is in.   This is only
likely to be a problem on the top level domain, though.

    Les Mikesell
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]