From: "Gordon Rowell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> As for devinfo - I too worry about where it is heading. I would like
> to see development activity, but the list has been extremely quiet on
> that front.

It is extremely difficult to take this statement seriously when on the
one hand you (understandably) won't commit resources to making
it possible to back-port outside development work to non-current
releases, and on the other hand do not provide any information
about where your own development is heading or time frames
for release.   This means that any outside development that
interacts with or depends on any existing SME framework will very
likely be obsolete before it is finished.  No one knows when you
will release your next version or what it will contain - and you have
made that policy very clear.

I just upgraded several servers in our main office and would have
loved the convenience of using SME instead of RedHat but I need
to maintain a number of customizations and decided that without
knowing more about where SME is headed and when it will get there
it just wasn't worth it.  SME has two things going for it:  your network
and support services (which I basically don't need), and the ease of
installation and administration (if you don't need to customize much).

However if you have to change anything at all, you really have to
look at where you are headed in the long run.   Every potential user
and customer has to ask if they want  to install a system with a huge
community of developers that nearly all interact openly so updates
and new developments can be added piecemeal, or if they want to
only have access to things a few people know how to improve and
everyone else has to wait for them to put the pieces together.

There is a place for both, but with the increasing popularity of Linux
the place for the former is growing rapidly.

----
   Les Mikesell
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]