On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Would the initial decision to use RedHat as the base for e-smith have
> been the same without access to the rawhide site and the ability to
> see work in progress

Absolutely. Access to rawhide had absolutely nothing to do with the choice
of RedHat as the distribution on which to base e-smith.

Redhat was chosen:

- for the obvious reason that it is the market leader
- because we were familiar with RedHat
- because the RPM package format is useful (despite various shortcomings)
- because its installer (anaconda) already supported automated install
  configuration, and because it was GPL software.

We do not have the time to watch RedHat rawhide to see where RedHat is
headed. We base our product on RedHat versions which have already been
tested in the field.

We do on occasions look to rawhide to see if RedHat have already fixed
problems that we have encountered, or have already packaged new versions
of packages which we wish to use.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175