Frankly, I wonder as well...

I agree. Closed lists are bad. I don't like them either. However, as previously indicated, it was necessary to get certain things done. A group started with a simply CC list in email messages. This proved to be a real pain in the butt, so a list was put together.

I am sorry, but the above statement, coupled with the fact that the list
is now private, 'feels' like a shift in... Something?

Yes, a shift from a closed in-house project to a community project. Mitel is giving us GPL SME Server to manage, not e-smith.org and everything that is(was) located there. ALL of the service located there need to be rebuilt over at contribs.org. This simply can't be done by the community at large as the result would simply be a huge mess. Imagine the chaos if we had 10 different people setting up 10 different user forums/mailing lists?

If anyone has a better idea, please speak up. We are all winging it here!!

Regards,

Greg Zartman

--
Greg J. Zartman

"Life in entertainment and survival is a game"

-- Please report bugs to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] (only) to discuss security issues Support for registered customers and partners to [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Searchable archive at http://www.mail-archive.com/devinfo%40lists.e-smith.org