> > I'm saying that the choice of Java was a mistake since the begin.
> Maybe it was. We're stuck with it unless we want to take a year or two
> out from developing freenet to port freenet.

The whole anti-Java thing is just language bigotry, C++ is no panacea,
it is easy to nitpick a decision to implement in any given language, be
it Java, C++, Python, Scheme, or whatever.

I'll bet that had we implemented in C++ from the beginning, and spent
months or years of development time tracking down memory leaks and
solving porting issues, I'll bet there would be those suggesting that we
drop everything for a year and reimplement in Java.

Java was originally chosen because it is cross-platform, has good
networking support, and - most importantly - it supports rapid
development.  The fact that it is possible to nitpick it is certainly no
justification for spending years porting to another language which would
be just as easy to nitpick for different reasons.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke                [EMAIL PROTECTED]|locut.us|cematics.com]
Latest Project                                          http://locut.us/