> Hey, just because we use a sane language does NOT mean we couldn't use a
> garbage collector :) The portability issues are more serious though.

Yes, but once you start using things like garbage collectors, you start
to lose much of the supposed efficiency advantages of going with C++
over Java.  Basically, you would be migrating from Java, to C++ dressed
up to act as if it were Java.

> Rapid development? Java is not that much different to C++, especially
> with the right libraries (including a garbage collector).

Again, Java is not that much different to C++, provided that C++ is
dressed up to act like Java.

People have bickered for months over the merits of various different
languages, and most people have their pet language based on largely
subjective factors, but there is no concrete objective reason to go with
any language other than Java, and certainly nothing that would justify
such a massive rewrite.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke                [EMAIL PROTECTED]|locut.us|cematics.com]
Latest Project                                          http://locut.us/