On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:06:33PM -0800, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > Hey, just because we use a sane language does NOT mean we couldn't use a
> > garbage collector :) The portability issues are more serious though.
>
> Yes, but once you start using things like garbage collectors, you start
> to lose much of the supposed efficiency advantages of going with C++
> over Java.  Basically, you would be migrating from Java, to C++ dressed
> up to act as if it were Java.

We would not have to deal with the perpetual VM bugs and unreasonable VM
limitations (such as not knowing the disk usage or the CPU usage). We
would have been able to use NIO from day one, if we wanted to.

> > Rapid development? Java is not that much different to C++, especially
> > with the right libraries (including a garbage collector).
>
> Again, Java is not that much different to C++, provided that C++ is
> dressed up to act like Java.
"raw" C++ isn't terribly sensible. But you don't need the whole java
bloat, virtual machine, etc, to get a reasonable language.

> People have bickered for months over the merits of various different
> languages, and most people have their pet language based on largely
> subjective factors, but there is no concrete objective reason to go with
> any language other than Java, and certainly nothing that would justify
> such a massive rewrite.

There is nothing that would justify, at this time, a rewrite. Certainly
not, I agree there. We must continue to develop Fred in Java because we
cannot afford the time, and it is after all only the reference
implementation, and as such not primarily designed for the best possible
speed. In fact, I believe Fred should always be written in java, up to
Fred 2.0 and beyond. If somebody wants to rewrite it post-1.0 in C,
that's cool, but I'll be working on features for 2.0.

--
Matthew Toseland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]