On Sunday 20 July 2003 02:26 pm, Tom Kaitchuck wrote:
> AltDbrUrl != yesterdays edition. I was very confused by this at first. In
> fact I'm still confused by it's purpose. However it is a way to access
> todays version, without having to look up the DBR redirect. It uses a
> static URL that contains todays date in seconds since 1970. If someone
> would like to explain this better, as well as how / why this is inserted
> into the network, please do. Anyway what this amounts to from the users
> prospective, is a way to get todays edition of the site when the normal way
> fails, and we don't want to get yesterdays edition.
If [EMAIL PROTECTED]/site// is a DBR site, then [EMAIL PROTECTED]/site actually
contains a small
'DateRedirect' meta tag. This causes fproxy to redirect to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/<date>-site. This is a normal site containing a normal mapfile.
The only advantage I see to altDbrUrl over the standard one is that it can be
used in any Freenet client, whereas the standard one has an fproxy CGI
option. The disadvantage of altDbrUrl is that, if it can't be found, you
can't go back another day because fproxy won't know it's a DBR site.

You will only get the standard/altDbrUrl option if fproxy knows you're trying
to reach a DBR site. This means it already has the root ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/site). The
standard yesterday URL will internally redirect directly to altDbrUrl. So
there's no reason to automatically use altDbrUrl.
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
        - Douglas Adams