On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Ian Clarke wrote:

> A thought just occurred to me.  It is quite possible, that from the
> perspective of the NG routing algorithm - that it will be preferable to
> send a request to a poorly suited node to whom a connection is already
> open, than to a well suited node to which we would need to establish a
> connection.
>
> Why is this bad?  Well, NG would be making a perfectly sensible and
> rational decision given that its goal is to minimize the time required
> to retrieve the data for *this* request, but it doesn't account for the
> fact that the establishment of a connection will benefit future
> requests.

How is routing ability divined?

1) As I understand it so far, when it comes time to hand a request to some
other node, fred takes a look at the stats it already has on the nodes in
its routing table and figures out which one would best serve this request.
Where do those stats come from?  From the actual performance of those
nodes on previous requests.  When that observed performance is recorded,
does it take into account if a connection was already established for that
node?

2) What you're saying seems to imply that the routing algorithm will know,
directly or indirectly, that a connection is already established to some
node, and will take that into account.

> How do we fix it?

It seems, assuming that my above summaries were correct, that there are
two things to do for fixing the problem.  Normalize for connection
time when recording performance data, and make the routing algorithm not
aware of connection status.

Undoubtedly I'm missing some point here.

-todd