On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 07:30:00PM -0700, Todd Walton wrote:
> 1) As I understand it so far, when it comes time to hand a request to some
> other node, fred takes a look at the stats it already has on the nodes in
> its routing table and figures out which one would best serve this request.
> Where do those stats come from?  From the actual performance of those
> nodes on previous requests.  When that observed performance is recorded,
> does it take into account if a connection was already established for that
> node?

As it stands - not really.  My second suggestion (the first was the
"hard way") means that we don't have to worry about this since a
connection will *always* be established for any node we consider.

> 2) What you're saying seems to imply that the routing algorithm will know,
> directly or indirectly, that a connection is already established to some
> node, and will take that into account.

My first solution, that I don't recommend - yes, my second solution,
that I do recommend, makes this a moot issue.

> It seems, assuming that my above summaries were correct, that there are
> two things to do for fixing the problem.  Normalize for connection
> time when recording performance data, and make the routing algorithm not
> aware of connection status.

Again, if we were going with my first (undesirable) suggestion, perhaps,
but my second (desirable) suggestion makes all of this irrelevant.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Coordinator, The Freenet Project              http://freenetproject.org/