On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:57:43PM +0000, Ian Clarke wrote:
> Dave Hooper wrote:
> >How about renaming freenet-java-webinstall.exe to freenet-webinstall.exe?
> >There, that fixes the problem.  Now there's only one version.
>
> I don't think forcing users to needlessly re-download the JRE will win
> us any friends amongst our Windows userbase.
>
> All I want is for things to be put back to the way they were before a
> few people got their knickers in a twist over Sun's licensing agreement
> and crippled the installer before we could clarify the issue with Sun.
>
> I explained to Sun's lawyers exactly what we were doing and they said
> its fine.  Even if there is still some uncertainty over the exact
> language they used, our efforts to clarify this issue are more than
> enough to take the path of least resistance, if Sun has a problem with
> it - they can let us know.  This whole thing has blown right out of
> proportion and certainly does not justify the burden we are placing on
> prospective Windows users.

No they didn't.

> How hard is it just to restore the installer to the way it was before?

It would be illegal. They said, for example:
"You are not allowed to host the JRE by itself.  If your download bundle
includes the JRE, it must also contain added value.  You can either
bundle the JRE with your app and host that bundle for download,
or unbundle the JRE from your app and host only your app",

This is pretty clear cut. If we host the file, even if we make the
directory hosting it non-listable, sooner or later it will get into
google etc, and people will download it from there to avoid Sun's forms.

In order to avoid further flamewars, I suggest we do the right thing
which is to make the small wininstaller chain to the big wininstaller if
necessary.

--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]