On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Florent Daignière
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Ian Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-05-13 13:45:18]:
>  > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Matthew Toseland
>  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >  As nextgens pointed out recently, our current website has a 40%
> conversion
>  > >  rate - that is, 40% of our unique visitors downloaded Freenet.
>  >
>  > Firstly, I don't buy that stat, and secondly, the inference you draw
>  > from it is wrong.
>  >
>  > I don't buy the stat because:
>  >
>  > 40% of visitors view the download page (according to Google
>  > Analytics), that doesn't mean 40% of visitors downloaded Freenet, or
>  > really understood what it was when they clicked on this. I think a lot
>  > of people just habitually click on "Download" when they see it.
>  >

>  The standard corporate method to gather statistics is to phone home or
>  to ask for feedback through surveys; do we want to do that?

No, but that doesn't mean we should make important decisions based on
flawed data.

>  > I mean, just look at it, its a mass of
>  > text, with a menu the length of the Amazon river.
>
>  I'm more worried about the content itself than how it's presented. Most
>  of it *is* outdated.

Both are a serious problem.  Users these days have higher expectations
of websites, right now we aren't meeting those expectations.

>  > I've personally had
>  > many experiences of people not having a clue what Freenet was, nor
>  > trying it out, even after viewing the website.
>  >

>  That hardly prove anything either. Some man pages are known to be useful and
>  well-designed pieces of documentation... and still, users don't read
>  them.

You are right, it doesn't prove much, but it reinforces most people's
perceptions that our website really doesn't make the grade.

Ian.

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cell: +1 512 422 3588