Ian Clarke wrote:

>>> Ummm, the fact that it would be a routable small world darknet?
>>
>> That's an assumption, not a fact. As far as I know there's little reason
>> to assume that the contact graphs of clandestine political organisations
>> are routable small worlds, let alone to assume that the combined contact
>> graph of several diverse organisations is a routable small world.
>
> Well, I think they might be a routable small world, but even if they
> are it doesn't follow that this "sneakernet" functionality should be
> part of freenet.
>
> I've heard a few people refer to Freenet as "bloatware", and frankly,
> given that 10MB of the install consists of client apps that really
> don't need to be bundled with Freenet, I can see why.

I disagree here. Freenet feels like bloatware because it has had[*] problems
with high CPU usage, disk trashing and munching memory like crazy.

A big download and a couple of satellite apps don't cause a judgment of bloat
ware (at least not in the people I known). It is that your computer really
loses responsiveness when such a resource hungry java app is running in the
background.

YMMV.

[*] I ceased running freenet in my desktop over half a year a go, so this may
be inaccurate now.