* Ian Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-05-16 09:35:34]:

> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Florent Daignière
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> But the same argument could be used in my Java analogy.  Java has a
> >> far higher profile than many apps written in Java, but it doesn't
> >> follow that Java should bundle all of these apps.
> >
> > Heh, java has a frozen API... last time I checked ours is neither frozen nor
> > even versioned!
>
> How is that relevant to this discussion?

If you want freenet to be a framework people actually use to write
applications for, then it has to be versioned and to provide some level
of backward-compatibility in between minor versions.

> > [snip.]
> >>
> >> Well, I've been describing Freenet as a platform since around 1999 -
> >> there is nothing new about this.  I think we do need to do some work
> >> to make Freenet more easily embedded, possibly as you suggest.
> >>

> > What about fproxy; shall it be separated from fred too ? I think it
> > should be a plugin to the node.
>
> Fproxy is the means through which the node is configured, so it
> doesn't make sense to separate it.

The configuration framework is accessible from FCP... Some applications
like Thaw are already using it.

> Technically the freenet->http
> aspect of fproxy is a client app, but since its already tightly
> integrated, and since it is serves as a "gateway" to Freenet, it makes
> sense to keep it part of Freenet.

Well, if you want freenet to run on embedded systems you will have some
tradeoffs to make at some point... I do think that fproxy and its
dependencies (the content-filter could be pluggable too) are nothing but
overhead.