On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Florent Daignière
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> But the same argument could be used in my Java analogy.  Java has a
>> far higher profile than many apps written in Java, but it doesn't
>> follow that Java should bundle all of these apps.
>
> Heh, java has a frozen API... last time I checked ours is neither frozen nor
> even versioned!

How is that relevant to this discussion?

> [snip.]
>> > If you did want to push Freenet-the-service, rather than
>> > Freenet-the-program, I'd suggest that for the late .7 and early .8 you
>> > continue the focus on making the install simpler.. For example, the
>> > project could create a Freenet-for-embedded.zip, which defaults to
>> > opennet only, auto-detects it's IP, and joins the network when the .jar
>> > is run, rather than asking the user any questions.
>>
>> Well, I've been describing Freenet as a platform since around 1999 -
>> there is nothing new about this.  I think we do need to do some work
>> to make Freenet more easily embedded, possibly as you suggest.
>>

> What about fproxy; shall it be separated from fred too ? I think it
> should be a plugin to the node.

Fproxy is the means through which the node is configured, so it
doesn't make sense to separate it.  Technically the freenet->http
aspect of fproxy is a client app, but since its already tightly
integrated, and since it is serves as a "gateway" to Freenet, it makes
sense to keep it part of Freenet.

Ian.

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]