On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Matthew Toseland
<t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 April 2009 19:09:14 Ian Clarke wrote:
>> Whichever source control system we switch to, I propose that we outsource
>> the repository hosting.  For example, if its git, we should use github.
>>
>> Reasons:
>>
>> - At least in the case of github, it will be free
>> - We don't have to worry about setting up and administering the repository
>> - Services like github have a lot of other useful add-ons like a nice web
>> interface to the repository
>> - Because of how git works, we can trivially migrate the repository
>> elsewhere if there is a problem
>>
>> Anyone disagree?  If so, why?
>
> IMHO hosting git (or hg) externally makes sense, for the reasons given and for
> other reasons. Caveats relate to binaries/workflow:
>
> Stable builds: A trusted developer should review changes (from the repository
> and not from the cvs list), create a tag and sign it, and then, on his own
> computer, build the binaries and source tarballs for that build, and upload
> them to our web hosting and to Freenet.
>
> Testing builds: We may or may not continue to provide testing builds. If we do
> they should be an unofficial service, auto-built but should automatically
> shut down if critical files (e.g. build.xml) are modified.

What if the junit are modified? junit are run on the sever as well

Building untrusted binaries is not really impossible --
I have known some people running public build service with sandbox
for long. But these kind of service have high maintenance cost ...