Am Freitag 03 April 2009 02:22:05 schrieb Daniel Cheng:
> DVCS does _NOT_ means accepting anonymous contribution.
>
> However, if we want to, there is nothing stopping us.

Personally I think it important for freenet to slowly establish a workflow
where people contribute pseudonymously, because that will build a group of
trusted committers which will be essential should freenet ever be outlawed.

Also that will open the way to a seamless transition to completely freenet-
based development.

For that workflow freenet needs to use a DVCS.

> This is no different from what we have been doing.
> Lots of translation come from anonymous.
> And I have been committing under the name "Daniel Cheng",
> but nobody have ever verified my id.

But you can bet tracked down (you're posting in this ML...).

I don't know what a copyright lawyer will say to completely anonymous
contributions, so the VCS of Freenet should allow for pseudonymous management
of the anonymous contributions.

> > PS: For strengths and weaknesses of hg and git (and bzr), you can have a
> > look at the excellent DVCS PEP of Python. They analysed which DVCS would
> > be suited best for their different usecases:
> > - http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0374/
>
> Hg is written in python.
> I have no question they can script Hg like me scripting Git..
> This is an extra advantage for them, but not us.
> [...]

Naturally hg being Python based is an extra advantage for Python - that's why
I said "look at it", and not "follow their decision without thinking".

They created a nice resource for projects switching from SVN. Every DVCSs part
was written by a supporter of that DVCS. Logically the text has a bias towards
Python, but since it's a Python PEP noone can claim he didn't know about that
bias :)

git in turn is written in C, bash and perl, which makes it harder to use for
Windows users.

What kind of scripts do you use?

I ask, because as long as you don't do low-level index manipulation or similar
plumbing stuff, you should be able to do the same with Mercurial - without
using Python.

Hooks for example are just shell commands defined in the repositories hgrc
file (and can also call any kind of script). I use outgoing hooks to simply
call lftp for uploading changed files when I do simple web development.

Similarly the Mercurial shell interface (and its templating options) allow to
easily use shell scripts for more highlevel tasks.

Besides: I'll try to keep my posts focussed, because I already had one long
git vs. hg discussion, and I assume you had yours, too - one initiation into
the deep guts of DVCSs suffices :)
Also I'm new to this list.

Best wishes,
Arne