On Friday 17 July 2009 15:25:28 Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Clément<cvol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This is in Safari 4 with Javascript definitely enabled.  Using
> >> Javascript for OS detection doesn't seem reliable - better to do it
> >> server-side.
> >
> > Well, we need to find a proper solution yes. For now, it should looks better
> > when javascript is enabled and the OS isn't found with a newer version (just
> > shows the message, and not the buttons).
> >
> > The thing is, if javascript is disable, it will show the four buttons (we
> > can
> > merge the macos one with the jws, so it will be only 3). However, this is
> > the
> > behaviour of http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/.
> >
> > And since we're not using php anymore, I don't think we can do it server
> > side.
>
> Isn't the plan to do this on Google's AppEngine?  If so, then we
> should be able to use server-side code, albeit not PHP.

Right now we use zero server side code. IMHO that is a good thing, it greatly
reduces the resources required to serve a page regardless of what platform we
are on (e.g. Google App Engine bills for both bandwidth and CPU). Javascript
can work perfectly well for OS detection, it is simply a question of "write
once, debug everywhere", unless any javascript guru can contradict this?