On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Pouyan Zachar <pouyans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> httpserver delivered with the Java 6 is only a simple webserver and is
> not a servlet container. on the other hand I don't think that it would
> be complicated to imitate some vital functionalities of a servlet
> container.
> I was aiming to utilize VelocityView which uses Servlet technology,
> thus needs a servlet container (and that's where jetty comes into
> play)
> Those for MVC architecture say "Ayeeeee"

MVC is a nobrainer, the hard question is *which* MVC framework.  Criteria
are:

   - Shallow learning curve (since regardless of which we choose, its likely
   to be unfamiliar to some developers)
   - Lightweight (so that it doesn't increase the size of Freenet's
   distributable)
   - Well supported
   - Pleasant to use

I have experience of two, here is how each stacks up on these criteria:

Wicket (my experience is about 4 years out of date though):

   - Learning curve: Medium, the paradigm takes a bit of getting used to,
   but once you do it makes sense
   - Lightweight: Probably not
   - Well supported: Definitely, years of active development, official
   Apache project
   - Pleasant to use: once you get past the learning curve, yes

Play:

   - Learning curve: Shallow, very easy tol get quick results
   - Lightweight: Probably not, and violates many norms of Java
   architecture, so probably very tricky to embed in Freenet
   - Well supported: Seems to have an active development community
   - Pleasant to use: Very, particularly once you get over the fact that it
   breaks a lot of Java "rules"

In short, neither of these is particularly appropriate.

I would also suggest options like GWT and Sproutcore, but then everyone
flips out at the prospect of inconveniencing the 3 Freenet users that can't
or won't use Javascript-capable web browsers :-/

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
Personal blog: http://blog.locut.us/