On Tuesday 19 Apr 2011 18:16:25 David ‘Bombe’ Roden wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 April 2011 15:19:05 Matthew Toseland wrote:
>
> > > 1. A servlet container (I suggest Jetty) [or adapt already existing
> > > "SimpleToadletServer"]
> > If we are building our own why do we need servlets? Aren't they
> > significantly more complex even than toadlets?
>
> Because most servlet containers get certain things right, e.g. session
> handlings (which is kind of broken in Fred).

Well, the WoT apps need session handling, and therefore we will more broadly if
we embed them.

Plus, ideally we'd like Freenet to support multiple logins.

So I guess that's a good enough reason.

> > Right. The bulk of the work will be converting the code to use the
> > templates.
>
> Oh yes. HTMLNode and related classes (such as PageMaker) are being dragged
> through everywhere, including our plugin interface — this will require a new
> plugin interface, or we risk massive incompatibilities will all existing
> plugins.

Right, it will be a lot of work, although the plugin API isn't exactly set in
stone; we'd like to keep back compatibility for the increasing number of
out-of-tree plugins, within reason.