At Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:46:57 +0000,
Matthew Toseland wrote:
> I am skeptical that you could fit 20 nodes on a 20W system; that's using
> what, a low-end laptop processor?

If you'd like to, I can do a real test till new year.

I use an ITX board with an ATI embedded thingy (I can dig for the
specs at home - wantd to blog about it anyway). Main feature: 8GiB
memory. I use it throttled at 2x800MHz, normally it would be 2x1.6GHz.

No fan, 64GiB SSD-storage.

> > Darn, 10.000€ is just what the BKA (german central police) spends yearly to
> > surveill skype…
> >
> > So they could easily afford making every second freenet node a police-node.
> We need some source of scarcity that is expensive for an attacker but cheap
> for a normal user. Unfortunately it does not exist.

Yes. We don't have an asymmetric source as in crypto when we use
opennet. We can only get that through darknet.

> > And I just saw that simple relation: You need 1€ per year to run a freenet
> > node, plus an initial investment of 10€ - maybe less if you purchase in
> > high
> > quantity.
> Right. And I'm skeptical about "millions of users" even being enough, because
> a big target attracts more funding.

Well,skype has millions of users with sensitive information, but the company
canonly charge 10.000 a year. If they could charge more, I'm sure they would :)

> Having said that, I think it should be possible to make it rather expensive
> to trace inserts, at a moderate performance cost.

That would be pretty nice :)

Best wishes,
Arne