Matthew Toseland writes:

> On 09/02/16 08:58, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
>> Because in normal swapping, as soon as the network settled a bit, the
>> changes in location should be small (though my nodestats look different:
>> too large changes in location for my taste…). So the node data should
>> still be reachable. When randomizing the position, however, the step is
>> large and the node might settle into a new part of the keyspace, so the
>> store might not be reachable anymore.
>
> Not in all cases. E.g. merging several growing darknets? Is this slow
> enough that we don't care?
>
> OTOH: Can this be used as some sort of DoS? Is 2 hops enough? Etc.

Maybe this should simply be regular insertion, which however would limit
the convergence speed.

> This was likely discussed way back when darknet was first proposed,
> maybe Oskar has an opinion about it ...

It would be great to recover some of this, given that now more people
seem willing to actually invest in building friend-to-friend connections
(though I’m nut sure whether I just have that impression because it
works for me now).

>> We can’t keep nodes from leaving, but we can keep swapping which spans
>> large parts of the keyspace from making parts of the datastore
>> inaccessible.
>
> On a hybrid network we still have the aristocracy problem: Because
> opennet is meritocratic, fast nodes tend to connect to fast nodes. Hence
> the distribution is likely to be non-uniform - slow nodes will be out on
> the edge and have poor connectivity i.e. possibly a different mean
> distance??

This is not connected to losing store content due to darknet swapping, right?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein