For l10n there are two different problems:
1) getting the translation from the translators

I don't know much about that part so I'll defer to those who know (I
think we use transifex).

2) serving the right translation to the user

The current website generates pages for all languages... and uses HTTP-
content-negotiation (MultiViews in apache terminology) to pick which
language to serve to the client.

https://freenetproject.org/index.html
https://freenetproject.org/index.html.en
https://freenetproject.org/index.html.fr

That works without javascript (it's done server-side) and is *very* SEO
friendly since only the first URL will be indexed (we serve a Link
header pointing there).

I don't think that github pages supports it (but then again, I might be
wrong). If it doesn't, how are we going to do it?

Regards,
        Florent