At 04.08 15/08/02 -0700, you wrote:

>I met a very interesting group of people at DEFCON who, believe it or=20
>not, are actually using Freenet to disseminate information in China,=20
>they have a website at http://freenet-china.org/.
>
>They have translated Freenet to Chinese and claim that they have a=20
>healthy user-base, they are distributing it on floppy-disk (to do this=20
>they have modified it to work with Microsoft's jview)!
>
>I pointed out that Freenet was still in development, but they assured me=20
>that everyone using it is informed-of and fully accepts the risks.
>
>One thing that was somewhat shocking is that they are actually using=20
>Freenet 0.3, when I asked them why they answered that the main problem=20
>with 0.4 was that we keep obsoleting previous versions which makes it=20
>unsuitable for their use at this time.  This is a shame as 0.4 contains=20
>a number of important security improvements over 0.3.
>
>Thus, I think we really need to consider seriously whether we can give=20
>our user base some assurances as to how frequently we will increase the=20
>last permitted build setting.  It seems that given Freenet is working=20
>relatively well right now (at least, better than 0.3) we might be=20
>getting close.  I would further argue that when we do this we should=20
>call it 0.5 - we have procrastinated long enough.
>
>I would say, however, that one requirement for releasing 0.5 would be to=20
>the the node distribution servlet working well, and start encouraging=20
>people to use it.
>
>Thoughts?  Comments?  Insults?

Just one thing Ian.

Do you remember my post about preserving 0.3 till 0.4
 was stable enought to preserve contents ?
Do you remember that one year ago I was stressing
 the concept that killing 0.3 was a bad service for
 people using it, and that *there was* people using it ?

In one of the Italian 0.3 nodes (tatooine.homelinux.net)
 I found a lot of evidence that people in China was using
 0.3.

If you want more info on this, I suppose it's better go crypto
 and out - of - list; too much detail here can hurt someone there.

Ciao.   Marco

--
+     il  Progetto Freenet - segui il coniglio bianco        +
*     the Freenet  Project - follow the  white rabbit        *