Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Thoughts? An obvious criticism is this is quite long, but nextgens has made
> significant progress in stripping down the rest of the wizard, and this stuff
> is more obviously related to what Freenet is for so I doubt users will be
> greatly distressed by it...

I like this setup.  It could make sense to keep network and treachery
level separate since two common scenarios might be: I live in China,
I'm scared of the government and I choose my friends carefully
(network = high, friends = low/medium), or I live in the US, I'm not
that worried about the government but I've never met any of these
random friends on IRC (network = low/medium, friends = high).

Here's a stab at shortening the text a bit:

REMOTE ATTACKERS: NETWORK THREAT LEVEL

How concerned are you about powerful organizations (government, ISP,
etc) attempting to monitor or block your use of Freenet?

HIGH:

I intend to access information that could get me arrested, imprisoned,
or worse.  I am worried about my government or ISP blocking Freenet.
I understand that Freenet is experimental and *cannot* ensure security
against certain known attacks, but I accept the risks compared to the
alternatives.  Freenet will not connect to unknown nodes, so **you
must have at least 5 friends already using Freenet to select this
mode**.

MEDIUM:

I live in a relatively free country, but I would like to make it more
difficult for others to monitor my communications.  Freenet will be
reasonably careful to protect your anonymity, at some performance
cost. Freenet will automatically connect to unknown nodes.  We
recommend that you add friends running Freenet and upgrade to HIGH.

LOW:

I do not care about monitoring and want maximum performance.  It may
be quite easy for others to discover my identity.

INSIDE ATTACKERS: FRIENDS THREAT LEVEL

How concerned are you about those you add as friends attempting to
monitor your activities, either deliberately or as a result of their
computers being compromised?  (This is a default level and can be
overriden on a per-friend basis.)

HIGH: I would like Freenet to take extra precautions to avoid attacks
from friends.  Freenet will not share any additional information with
friends.

MEDIUM: I am not overly concerned about attacks from friends, but I
would like Freenet to take reasonable precautions at some performance
cost.  Freenet will share a limited amount of information with
friends.

LOW: I am not concerned about attacks from friends.  I trust my
friends and their computer security abilities.  Freenet will trust
friends fully.

PHYSICAL THREAT LEVEL:

How concerned are you about your computer being physically seized and examined?

HIGH: I am concerned.  Freenet will use additional hard drive encryption.

LOW: I am not concerned.  Freenet will use only basic encryption.

theo