Florent Daigni?re skrev:
> * Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> [2008-12-12 00:06:31]:
>

>> On Thursday 11 December 2008 23:46, Florent Daigni?re wrote:
>>
>>> * Zero3 <zero3 at zerosplayground.dk> [2008-12-11 19:18:30]:

>>> That alone is a good reason why *not* to do it. I don't see why
>>> installers should be auto-built nor built from emu for that matter.
>>>
>> I believe I and Zero3 have given several reasons:
>>

> Right, but none of them is valid or worth considering whereas the
> caveats are real. Not to mention that here we are talking about doing
> additional work changing the *current behaviour* which has proven to be
> working.

I strongly disagree. I think the advantages are much greater than the
disadvantages.

While the current behviour "works", it's certainly not optimal. I
thought this whole discussion started with Ian pointing out that our
installer could be improved?

>> And

>> advantage.
>>

> We do have a solution for those users: we already have an offline
> installer. Here you and he are suggesting to make what is currently a
> special-case the default installer on the basis that some users might
> gain some security out of it. It's insane.

The point is that most people will download/be sent the default
installer (the online one), and won't even be notified before it calls
home during the installation.

I can't see the insane part of making sure that doesn't happen.

> Why? You can get a slow mirror and download slowly your bigBundle from
> it... or get all the packs you need from different (possibly using
> parallel sessions - we don't do that atm) equally slow mirrors.

Bundling and compressing everything into a single file saves a lot of
overhead and connection delays compared to downloading files
individually. Surely you are aware of that already?

>>> + removal of the website as a Single Point of Failure.
>>>

> Again, we already have an offline installer.
>
> I'm not against improvements: I'm against unnecessary, unjustified
>  and probably dodgy changes.

An offline installer which is located on the SPoF...

It appears to me that you are against improvements, at least if they
come from me. I think both I and toad has listed several good reasons
for changing some of these things.

- Zero3