Florent Daigni?re schrieb:
> * Michael T?nzer <NEOatNHNG at users.sourceforge.net> [2008-05-08 05:04:07]:
>
>> In the last few weeks I've done some work on the website. While
>> translating it, there were some things that struck me so I changed them.
>> But our site is still far from perfect. It lacks a attractive design and
>> some features that would be quite handy (e.g. select the language by
>> hand, RSS-Feeds, a search) but are a little bit difficult to implement
>> (at least if we want to do it in a safe and efficient way) or at least I
>> don't have the time and skills to do it.
>
> Select language by hand is trivial to implement and we can delegate the search
> to google so that's trivial too... okay RSS would require some work

I know it's not that hard to do but someone actually has to do it. And
if there is an already existent solution, why not do it with that one
instead of inventing the wheel yet another time.

>> I also noticed, that the format
>> we use to save the content (it's just a php file containing HTML which
>> is included in some kind of very simple template) leaves room for
>> optimization (for both, the author who needs to write valid HTML and
>> know about the things he can do with it (not all of us do know how to
>> write clean and valid HTML (I do not exclude myself from this
>> statement)), and the user, who might get malformed HTML or ugly pages
>> because the browser has some bugs the author didn't know of). We also
>> have the problem, that our site consists of many different components:
>> there's the homepage, the wiki, emu, SVN, which looks very fragmented.
>>
>> We could address most of this problems by using a CMS (content
>> management system).
>
> It's not the first time it's being debated...
>
>> Of course a CMS is not a Swiss Army knife for
>> everything and it does raise several issues: is it fast enough to
>> survive a slashdot, can we use our already existent database, how can we
>> migrate, is it safe?
>
> Don't worry about performances for now...

I don't but Ian did when I had a discussion with him about the some web
design issues recently where I mentioned CMSs.

> At the moment we are using mantis as a BTS, Wikka as a wiki-engine, a
> home-maid website and *loads* of custom scripting for almost
> everything... How do you plan to migrate existing content ?

The fully custom made site is one of the problems, as we are not experts
in some of the things we did. I saw that you fixed some security issues
in our php code today, some issues that dealt with character escaping
and such things. I'm no PHP expert but I think these are things which
are obvious to a professional php-developer but can completely break our
security, which means if some <put your favourite intelligence agency
here> guy used this issue to hack into our server and replace the
binaries we provide, then this could be rather dangerous for our users.

What I want to say: If you're not absolutely sure about what you're
doing, leave it to the pros, they know how to deal with it, and we can
concentrate on what we do best: provide our users with tools to give
them true freedom of speech.

It's probably not possible to migrate in two days but it seems that now
is a good point to start the process, as Ian mentioned he wanted to
change the website significantly (this also includes the texts). We
probably should migrate in a soft way and try it in a test environment
first. The Website would be a good point to start with because it has
not so much content on it. The other things could be done step by step,
or never if we want to keep them (e.g. I'm not quite convinced about
drupals bug tracker, but there are definitely better wiki engines than
wikkawiki).

> Can a CMS have some level of history ? All the tools we use have
> native versioning; that's a feature we don't want to loose.

Drupal has native versioning, I think that's one of the core features
which made it one of the favourite CMSs for OpenSource projects.

Neo at NHNG

--
Follow the blue rabbit - The Freenet Project - http://freenetproject.org/