On Tuesday 13 May 2008 05:44, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Florent Daigni?re
> <nextgens at freenetproject.org> wrote:
> >  Well what's the solution then? To make Matthew work on the website? to
> >  send a call for help on @announce (possibly a better phrased than mine)?
> >
> >  Shall I forget about the drupal vhost right-now and delete it?
>
> Definitely not, its a good experiment, and may yield good results.
>
> I think you are right that none of us are good web developers, and
> frankly its going to be hard to find some web development genius to
> give his time to re-architecting the website.
>
> I think the key is to take advantage of open source, to find a good
> design that is released under a free license (perhaps GPL, perhaps
> creative commons, maybe something else), and use it, perhaps with a
> few minor modifications (logo, color scheme, etc).
>
> I've suggested looking at the Mozilla project, because they release
> their websites under creative commons, and they have some pretty good
> web-designers.  Of course we should look elsewhere too.
>
> We need to find a way to have a professional looking website, without
> a) having to build it from scratch ourselves and b) having to spend
> any of our precious donations on building it.  Taking advantage of
> open source HTML and CSS code seems like the natural answer to this.

As nextgens pointed out recently, our current website has a 40% conversion
rate - that is, 40% of our unique visitors downloaded Freenet. Given the
level of political baggage and technicality that Freenet inevitably comes
with, that suggests that the website is not the biggest problem facing us.

No?

IMHO the bigger problem is user retention. And how do we get better user
retention?
- More content.
- Better performance.
- A usable chat client. (Whether or not we choose to spend project resources
on this, IMHO it will result in higher user retention).